Friday 1 March 2013

A dedication and a mystery

First of all, I would like to dedicate this post to my Granny, she was a wonderful grandparent, and she died 7 years ago today. She loved birds, especially robins and today I was going to try and take a photo of our robin that visits our garden, but the weather is a bit iffy so the photo below is one I took back in the autumn. I always remember peering out of the window in the back door, trying to see which birds had visited the bird table. Usually there was a very naughty squirrel stealing the food my Granny had put out! I do believe she had a water pistol to squirt at them! Fond memories indeed x




Well in addition to the handsome robin, here are some other garden friends who are always a pleasure to watch flitting around in the trees, fighting over the food and trying to establish some dominance.

Blue tit

Blue tit

Great tit

Great tit

Collared doves in their nest (are these chicks?)

Charm of goldfinch


Wren (a bit blurry)

Great spotted woodpecker

Female house sparrow

Male house sparrow

I think I could watch the garden birds ALL day!


As you may know it is also St. David's day today and my mum always makes sure we have some lovely daffodils. This year accompanied by pussy willow.





We also seem to have a mystery on our hands....

Usually our fat ball feeder hangs nicely from a branch on our smaller tree. The starlings and the great spotted woodpecker make it swing about a bit, but they have never caused it to fall off the branch.

A couple of nights ago, I let the pup out for a final wee before bed and the fat ball feeder was still hanging as per. Came down in the morning and it wasn't there... I thought maybe it had been a bit windy in the night, but when I went out to put it back up it was too far away to have been blown down, and it was underneath the wildlife log pile mum created a while ago... I was a bit puzzled! Put it back up etc. only to find the next morning exactly the same thing had happened, and it was actually wedged underneath the logs and branches. I've been having a bit of a think about who the culprit could be but haven't come to any conclusions. I've never seen a squirrel in our garden so I doubt that could be our mystery creature. I don't think a cat would have done it, as there have always been cats around and the feeder has been up for quite a while without any trouble. So, I'm stumped!

Here are my 'crime scene' shots!

Usual hanging position

Normal visitor

GSW on feeder

Where has it gone? Who is responsible?!

Wedged under the logs and branches


If anyone has any idea what it could be, please do comment below :) Or maybe I should stay up all night and find out for myself! Or it could just be that I want it to be something other than a cat!!




No comments:

Post a Comment